Sunday, June 22, 2008

Lunch, Dinner and Drinks


On Wednesday I went for lunch at Cafe Midi. A quant French inspired cafe in the back of a French inspired
 home wear store attached to Americ
an Rag.   As has been the case at most of the places I have eaten the service was very quick. The menu was quite extensive. Lot's of salads. They seem to be particularly fond  of  goats cheese. They also seem to love Arugula in contrast to Australia's love affair with rocket.

I ordered two Maryland crab cakes with a mixed green salad and some fantastic tartar sauce. 
I also ordered a soy chai latte with honey. This was bloody average and the honey came in a dispenser that was conducive to pouring honey. The chai came in a massive cup.

 All in all it was pretty good.

Sitting next to me were two hot Lesbians they gave me the name of two other places to try for dinner Terroni on Beverly and Gingergrass in Silverlake. So I hit Terroni for dinner...

The place was packed, the atmosphere was electric. As with most LA kitchen's all of the staff is Mexican. I was greeted by a nice Sicilian fellow. He bought me a yummy rice ball filled with a meat ragu and cheese yummy..
The menu was wicked. 

I ordered duck prosciutto, 
Burrata cheese on an arugula salad with cherry tomatoes.
Yummy. I was very interested in the duck prosciutto. How is this done exactly? I have included a link to a recipe just in case anyone would like to make this. They seem to use Burrata in place of buffalo mozzarella.
In the states Entrees are the main course.
For my main I went with the head chefs suggestion of Capunti con ragu d'agnello. All  the pasta is made fresh at Terroni's. I was not so sure about this as I am not a fan of pasta dishes in red sauce but this was lovely. The pasta was perfect and the ragu was divine. I felt the dish could have been a bit smaller as I could not finish it. I was saving room for tiramisu for desert. I finished my dinner and to my surprise a desert arrived.

 It was cannelloni filled with sweet ricotta the ends each had pistachios on them. yummy.
I also had two great glasses of Italian wine and one glass of Lemonchello. 

 I was a bit tipsy so I asked the staff to direct me to a bar. They said,  "a hip chick like you should head to The Dime across from Canters. "

The Dime is a small little bar that plays cool tunes and stay's open til 2am....... I left there about 2:30 and headed home.

No comments: